Parks Canada Historical Sites Mapping Application
GeoSolutions Consulting was contracted by Parks Canada to design, program and implement a National Historical Sites Internet Mapping System.
This project entailed acquisition and formatting of Canada wide base mapping at various scales down to 1:50000, geocoding of all Parks Canada, National Historical Sites, and the design, development and implementation of a MapInfo MapXtreme based Internet mapping solution seamlessly integrating this data.
- Geogratis (1:2 million)
- CanMap (1:50,000) full Canada coverage v3.0
- Parks Canada data (various scales)
Application screenshot at full extent
Application screenshot at a scale of 1.8 km
with the land use layer is turned on
Java Applets were embedded onto an html page to provide the following functionality.
- Zoom In and Out to street level data with building footprints, land use and streets etc. plus Parks Canada data (Nation Historic Sites, Treaty Boundaries etc.)
- Ability to toggle the display of specific layers such as Nation Historic Sites, Land Use, etc.
- Pan or recenter view.
- On-line help instructions on the use of the application.
- Display of map width (scale)
- Ability to specify map width and zoom to the current center of map at that map width.
- Use the Info tool to query information on National Historic Sites, First Nation Communities, land use etc.
- Zoom to full extent.
- Print and Print Preview. Print page contains an enlarged view of current map and a scale bar.
- An overview map showing the area currently viewed in comparison to all of Canada.
- A legend describing the symbols on the screen dependant on the current scale
Legend when scale is
between 250 and 150 km.